ColinMcEnroe

"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time..." -- Kerouac

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Live from Old Lyme

Well, I would have been closer to live had not blogspot sort of crashed last night. I had just returned from what was billed as a "conversation" between me and Lowell Weicker in the auditorium of an Old Lyme church. Weicker and I have become, in recent years, something resembling friends, although we're not quite there yet. It's really hard for journalists and politicians who be completely calm around one another. But we like each other enough to have agreed to do this for a Deaniac group down there, and, amusingly, we arrived dressed nearly identically.
Anyway, during the Q&A, I noticed a guy in the back -- dressed rather differently from most of the rest of the Old Lyme crowd which was, come to think of it, also dressed like me and Weicker -- who looked less like the sort of person who Septembers along the lower Connecticut River and more like he might driven over from Ansonia.
And he had a fairly obstreperous question that involved the media not doing its job.
And his face had a somewhat sour cast, as though he spent a lot of time being pissed off about the state of things.
So, of course, he was a blogger.
Not only a blogger, he told me after the show, but a contributor to DailyKos. In fact, he told me, in kind of a "I know Springsteen" way, he and Kos exchange emails roughly twice a week.
And I told him excitedly about this class and how we're looking at Kos as some kind of frontier community attemping to impose order on itself blah blah blah and he clearly did not give a shit. He was mainly interested in what he was going to do next. (I have this increasing suspicion that some bloggers kind of get off on doing what I more or less did long before there was blogging: become mildly important without ever developing any social skills.)
And I had to resist the temptation to chloroform him and slip him into a specimen bag and beam him back here and pin him to a styrofoam board so that we could study him more closely, use the rectal probe on him, erase his memories and release him in a field at night.
Anyway, his big excitement stemmed from the way Weicker had been kind of dangling -- in the vaguest way -- the idea that he might run against Lieberman next year. I happen to know a little more about this, and it's not a completely insubstantial idea. Anyway, he's going to try to get something up on Kos about it today, so keep and eye peeled. It might be a chance for us to watch a meme get batted around a little.

3 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger Dems for Education said...

This goes back to my theory that many -- most -- bloggers aren't motivated by a quest for knowledge, but rather by a need for self-promotion. It's the "I'm cool and you're not" thing. I think these are many of the same people who claimed to have "discovered" disco back in 1977.

 
At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Safe teeth whitening natural breast enhancement Four season ritz carlton chicago get rid of cellulite in a healthy manner best refinance rate freezers 2000 nissan maxima pictures take credit card over the web proactiv skin care system Travel insurance war free bingo game http://www.contact-lens-5.info hot tub Paxil premature ejaculaton supplements herbal cisco wireless ip phone http://www.lift-chairs-3.info Best offers laptops

 
At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Julie Arnold said...

Great blog I enjoyyed reading

 

Post a Comment

<< Home