ColinMcEnroe

"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time..." -- Kerouac

Saturday, September 24, 2005

It don't meme a thing...Saturday edition

Oh!, before I get rolling, allow me to mention that one of our class blogs got a comment back from Sally! Also, I got a nice haircut. You will no longer have to be ashamed of your teacher.

The idea that bloggers sit around in their pajamas, even on refulgent September days, is a meme, and you should peruse those definitions and read the wikipedia entry on meme if you do nothing else. If you do something else, check out some of the other links in this posting, but, then, before you burn out completely, check out my man Clotaire Rapaille, who is not at all doing memes. I want to be this guy's intern some day. I think he helps me figure out what is missing from most memetics research and writing -- the human element. Most of what I read on memes is either:
-- really stupid
-- really mechanistic or
-- pointlessly esoteric.
I'd put in links for all of these, but I already have too many people pissed off at me.
It's as if, once the original idea was coined, nobody could figure out what to do next. It's like 300 Jesuses and 0 St. Pauls.
Susan Blackmore's book is the exception. Truly useful.
OK, then, this is kind of the JAMA of memes, but when I clicked on "Current issue," I got Latin, which frightened me and made me reexamine the coffee bag in my cupboard. Kenya AA psilocybin. Just as I thought.
Who else is doing memes? Surprise! Those cranky bastards at Kos, that's who. Why is that whole Kos thing so unikeable. I mean, "liberal Democrat" is practically my blood type, but there's a Dr. Evil quality over there. "Number One? Depressurize the meme tank. Let slip the monkey memes of war!"

I include the next thing ONLY because it was an attempt to connect blogs and memes, but, for the life of me, I can't figure out how it was supposed to work and, anyway, I'm pretty sure everyone connected to it is now dead, in sort of a mass "Day of the Condor"-style rub-out.

And then, there's this semi-successful attempt to identify the kind of meme you could maybe track, but I don't see any real evidence of an attempt to track any of them.

2 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

Here is a good explanation what is wring with the word 'meme' and 'memetics':
http://mikethemadbiologist.blogspot.com/2005/03/why-i-dislike-memes.html

Philosophers of science Robert Brandon and William Wimsatt have written definitive analysis why memetics is BS.

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Latins female models search ionamin online Free+windows+xp+recovery+disk Distance learning college physical education michigan hoveround electric wheelchairs Best fitness in albany Black quilted jacket women Auto insurance bad credit Shop for tadalafil online Ativan cod only history 1982 cadillac seville Dallas lasik surgeon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home