ColinMcEnroe

"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time..." -- Kerouac

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Outside help

One of the unintentional lessons I have taught myself has to do with this blog itself, which I had envisioned strictly as a tool for staying in touch with students in the class, kind of a 24/7 meta-blackboard.
I didn't think anyone else would even know about it, but, indeed, the blogosphere is full of eyes that find you, whether you want to be found or not.
So anyway, here is somebody with some further suggested reading for this week. Said reading is optional. This guy even knows what YOU are thinking.

3 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

Thank you. I am very interested in your class as I intend to teach one myself next year. Any pointers?

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Aldon Hynes said...

I found this blog through comments over on Connecticut Local Politics and thought I would stop by and say hello.

First, as a bit of introduction, I was credentialed to cover the 2004 Democratic National Convention in Boston as a blogger. I write for the group blog,Greater Democracy, my personal blog, Orient Lodge, Mayor John DeStefano’s Gubernatorial campaign blog, and to a lesser extent many other blogs.

I am particularly interested in some of the academic discussions about blogs, and I would highly recommend people read the Jay Rosen’s Press Think. Jay is a journalism professor at NYU and has some great stuff going on there.

A friend of mine is an anthropology professor who has taught for years on the anthropology of cyberspace. (I was a case study in a paper of his about six years ago.) I know that a couple papers he is having his students read include Bonnie Nardi, Diance Schiano, and Michelle Gumbrecht. 2004. "Blogging as social activity, or, would you let 900 million people read your diary?" Proceedings of Computer Supported Cooperative Work 2004. http://home.comcast.net/%7Ediane.schiano/CSCW04.Blog.pdf and

Fernanda B. Viégas, "Bloggers' expectations of privacy and accountability: An initial survey." Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 2005, 10(3), article 12. http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol10/issue3/viegas.html

I look forward to hearing about your class, and I hope you don’t mind me popping my head in here from time to time.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Dems for Education said...

Jeez! It's like this guy's in my head!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home